Welcome to a new series of Monday posts for the GAL blog called "Information Super-Overload" ("ISO Monday"). Every Monday we will discuss the increased problems of 'too much information" and strategies for dealing with the increased distraction of RSS feeds, twitter updates, Facebook friend requests, blog posts, email and other information tools. Could it be that technology will put us out of business? Are the techno-detractors correct when they say that information overload is making the work-place less productive? As noted by lifehacker,
To start things off, I want to get you thinking about the problem of information overload and the challenges it creates for everyone riding the information super-highway. Thanks to www.managingio.com for this handy list of info and resources devoted to the problem of IO. I can't help but note that this list is yet another example of Information Overload! Watch again next week for the next installment of ISO Monday.
Blogs/ Websites with focus on information overload
- - RSS as the redeemer of humanity from IO? Blog about RSS, webfeeds and information overload
- - Another blog devoted to IO
- pointing to the $650 billion cost estimate of information overload published by a
- - IO is even bad for your health.
- Plus, it makes you stupid: and
- Sometimes it also turns nasty:
- But not enough with that, it might even kill you:
- If we didn’t do it before: - Well-written article on the subject by Neil Postman
- - Nice article on IO by William Van Winkle
- - Psychologists also say IO is bad. Now if that’s no proof ;-)
- - Includes a history section on IO. How it all started…
- - Correct, it’s a pain. Or is it?
- - Yes, indeed. Looks at it from a marketing perspective.
- - So not only the users but the internet itself. Includes some good comments on how information will be structured in the future (directories vs. tagging)
- - Study that attempts to estimate how much new information is created each year
- - Report on the effects of information overload in the
- - Looking at potential solutions to IO with a focus on agent-like applications, improvements in the information chain and information brokering
- - Study focuses on IO due to email
- - Paper on information overload and search engines
- - How to analyze IO in organisations. Rather theoretical…
- - Popular blog with tips on how to increase productivity (e.g. check out “”)
- - Blog on productivity with a cute cat
- - A practical guide on how to focus on the information that is really required
- - Tips for Bloggers on how to deal with IO
- - Useful tips
- - As the title says…
- - Also have a look at
- - They are different, that’s why they need special care ;-)
- - Useful tips!
- Other blogs on productivity: and
- - Newsletter with articles on information overload, however many articles on other subjects too
- - Article on the negative effects of information overload (published on Feb. 19th 1999, but still true…)
- - Including some interesting statistics on the subject (although a little outdated)
- - Article on knowledge management software (a little outdated too, 2001…)
- http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue12_8/zeldes/index.html - our article summarizing the impacts and costs of IO in a large organization.