Alan Henry at Lifehacker.com provides 10 tips for escaping your crappy job in his article titled “Ten Things To Do While Planning Your Escape from an Awful Job.” Here’s a summary of what Alan suggests you should do prior to leaving your horrible job:
- Keep working and carry on as you normally would so as to not draw attention to your intentions.
- Don’t discuss your plans to your co-workers or friends.
- Start slowly packing up your personal item.
- Stay close to your friends at your current job so you can network with them later on.
- Back up and/or remove personal items from data systems.
- Familiarize yourself with the company’s policy relative to leaving your employment.
- Make sure you are financially secure before making the leap. If you are taking time off in between jobs, be sure you have funds to get by.
- Start honing your skills, especially if you are taking a little time off between jobs.
- Research and learn about your future employer.
- Leave your current employer on good terms.
Top 10 Ways to Survive Your Crappy Job, by Adam Dachis of Lifehacker.com